History

“ONLY QUALITY ENDURES”

(Peter Heinrich Schmitz, founder, 1864)

 

2018

Exceptional Homes – The Classic Style of RALF SCHMITZ, Est. 1864, published in Februar 2018 with teNeues.

2015

Construction starts on our Eisenzahn 1 property just off Berlin’s Kurfürstendamm, a prestigious development that has echoes of Europe’s grand boulevards. In its first-ever residential collaboration, Italian luxury label Bottega Veneta develops exclusive interiors for the building’s refined lobby as well as for its showroom.

2014

The firm celebrates its 150th year and opens the doors of its new offices in Oberkassel, Düsseldorf, close to the Rhine. Publication of a commemorative book documenting the Schmitz family’s entrepreneurial history.

2013

Ralf Schmitz Wohnungsbaugesellschaft is reconstituted as Ralf Schmitz GmbH & Co. KGaA. It remains a family-run and entirely family-owned business. A supervisory board is instituted to provide oversight. Completion of the Hamburg office’s maiden project.

2011

Axel Martin Schmitz joins the family firm. Works starts on Klosterhof Kempen, the largest project to date in the company’s home town.

2007

With further new developments in the capital, the Berlin office establishes itself as a leading provider of high-quality luxury property.

2007

Richard Alexander Schmitz joins the board. The firm plans and completes various new developments in Düsseldorf.

2004

A new Berlin office is established on Kurfürstendamm, headed by eldest son Daniel Ralf Schmitz. Completion of two villas in the city’s Grunewald district.

1998

Villa Brandenburg in Kempen, the company headquarters to this day, undergoes renovation.

1992

The firm develops a pioneering sheltered housing complex for the elderly. New-build projects are complemented by renovation and modernization work on existing properties, particularly historic buildings, is carried out.

1977

Aged just 24, Ralf Schmitz founds his own firm in Kempen and quickly establishes it as a developer of high-quality apartment buildings in Kempen, Krefeld and Düsseldorf.

1971

The new SCHMITZ KG tower opposite Düsseldorf’s Hofgarten park is officially opened.

1961

Work is completed on an estate of new-build villas in Hochdahl.

1952 / 53

A development of apartment blocks, designed by Hieronymus Schmitz himself, is completed opposite Kempen station. Terraced housing and apartment buildings become the company’s core business. The firm also expands into new geographical areas, including Düsseldorf, Essen and Cologne.

1945

The third generation takes the reins, with Heinrich’s youngest son Hieronymus Schmitz joining the family firm.

1919

Heinrich Schmitz takes sole charge of the Kempen operation, which now goes by the name Heinrich Schmitz KG.

 

1910

Construction of the Royal Teaching College in Kempen. Since 1925, the college has been home to the Thomaeum grammar school, which three generations of the family have attended.

1905

Heinrich Schmitz, the youngest son of Peter Heinrich Schmitz, establishes an offshoot of the firm in Kempen.

1896

Having previously built churches, monasteries and factories, the firm completes a villa for the factory owner Dietrich Girmes in Oedt, Grefrath – its first foray into high-quality residential property.

1864

Peter Heinrich Schmitz establishes a construction firm in Grefrath on the Lower Rhine, marking the beginning of a family tradition in the trades.